Friday, July 25, 2014

                          The Rhema Testament


The Rhema Testament
Sometime during the month of June while fasting, I was quietly nestled in my bed, with my bible propped up on my pillow, turned to the book of Matthew. I was up to the part where Jesus was walking with his disciples, and spreading the message of the kingdom of heaven being at hand [Matthew 4:17]. My house was so calm, and quiet that day you could have heard a pin drop, and suddenly I heard it!  It was like a soft whisper in your ear, a voice as clear as day.

Not truly paying it much thought, I continued to read, ultimately finishing the chapter. Later that day I called a friend, and I casually mentioned the whisper I'd heard earlier. He suddenly became quiet, then excited, and believed I was sent a message from above, and this my friend is how I learned about Rhema.

What is Rhema?
 Rhema is a Greek word that describes scripture, it refers to a word that is spoken and means “an utterance.” A Rhema is a verse or portion of scripture that the Holy Spirit brings to our attention with application to a current situation or need for direction.

What is the Bible?
According to About Christianity.com the English word for "Bible" comes from bíblia in Latin and bíblos in Greek. The term means book, or books. Biblica.com, defines the Bible as: "an account of God's actions in the world, and his purpose with all creation."

"The bible took place and was written over 16 centuries ago, it is a compliation of 66 books written by over 40 authors. The Bible wasn't literally written down as things occurred, but rather told over and over again. It was handed down throughout the years before eventually being written down and transcribed. The Bible is an extraordinary book, while its certainly not the oldest book in history, it is the only existing text with mauscripts in the thousands." 
*[Excerpts taken from: Biblica.com and About Christianity.com]


Let's do a quick recap of what the Bible is:
1. A guide for the living/help with navigating life.
2. A storehouse of stories(remember Noah's Ark?)
3. A refuge [Aide, relief, escape]
4. Gives insight to purpose and destiny.
5. A source book for every day living.


        The instruction came while I was still; it grieves me to think that if I’d been playing music, or had the television blaring I might have missed the message all together. [Psalm 62:5]
     Admittedly, I don’t remember verbatim what was uttered to me that day, the rhema or “the utterance” came as instructions to start writing, not on my own, but with others- the testaments of others; similar to the Bible. It would be a contemporary collection of the peoples will and testaments. Testaments of how God has helped them; one can imagine my excitement to get started, or my dismay. Seeking, willing participants, strangers who don’t mind sharing their life stories, not to be ridiculed but to be an inspiration to others.
In the end im not worried, because surely God will provide [Psalm 18:2].

 













No comments:

Post a Comment